Friday, June 5, 2020

Yet Another Look at St. Thomas

I can't help but notice that over the past month or two a post entitled "The Tommies Are Back" has been my most-read post. I have no idea why that would be. It's a post from 2010 and it's about the St. Thomas men's and women's teams concerning their progress in the 2010 season.

I can't help but think that readers think it's gonna be about the more recent St. Thomas controversies--their exclusion from the MIAC and their efforts at going D1 that are ongoing as we speak. So I've taken 2 posts and put them up here at the top of the blog. One is from way back in 2013, when I said that St. Thomas really should move up. Dominating the MIAC like they had done over the previous quarter-century just didn't seem like a particularly sporting proposition at that time. Then in 2019, I wrote about the fact that the Tommies were and are now trying to move up to D1, if the NCAA will let them.

Please take a look at these 2 articles (below). Some very smart people have told me they're pretty good. And don't get me wrong. I love St. Thomas. And, yet, I don't share the fairly common view that the MIAC should be ashamed and/or the MIAC is cowardly or whatever for compelling St. Thomas to leave the MIAC. The simple fact that they are one of the founders of the conference 100 years ago is irrelevant. The University of Chicago was a founder of the Big 10. So what? My own opinion in 2013 was that St. Thomas should move up at least to D2. My opinion today is that the MIAC did them a favor, and St. Thomas will absolutely thrive at D1--again, if the NCAA let's them in. I mean, what does Marquette have that St. Thomas doesn't have? The answer is, Nothing, and on top of that, St. Thomas has got football, which Marquette ain't got.

St. Thomas is gonna be fine.

So, anyway, if you're looking for some thoughts about St. Thomas as it moves up in the world, these are the articles you want to see, not that one from 2010. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment