Thursday, February 16, 2012

100 Years of Minnesota High School Tournament Basketball: Best Girls Shots


This week's category is Best Shots in the girls tournament. I can tell you this was tough. For whatever reason, there's nothing like Blake Hoffarber's butt shot, or even Khalid El-Amin's big 3, or Barry Wohler's game-winners, on the girls side. Well, I guess there is, but nobody remembered 'em, including yours truly. I don't know what that means, but there it is. 

So the #1 shot is Rey Robinson's game-winner/championship-winning jumper at about :02 for Becker vs. DeLaSalle in the 2007 Class AAA final. 

If you can place the rest of the entries on the right team, you are a big fan of girls basketball: Kyana Johnson, Martha Macken, Erin Ditty, Megan Erlandson, Carol Oehrlein. 

Then there's Chelsie Groslie. 

Who? I missed this one. Everybody missed this one, but Lisa Lissimore of the MSHSL called it to my attention the other day. 

"In the hours before Moorhead forward Chelsie Groslie sank a buzzer-beating three-pointer Thursday to defeat defending Class 4A champion Bloomington Jefferson 54-51, the sophomore felt . . . nothing. She wasn't sure if she was calm or crazy.

"I've been so relaxed all day," Groslie said. "I told my teammates: `You guys, I'm not nervous at all and I don't know why.' "

The inner peace came in handy in the last seconds of the girls' basketball semifinal at Williams Arena. Moorhead's final play went awry, leaving only enough time for Groslie to launch a 25-footer. Swish."

So read a newspaper report, though I don't know what newspaper. The year, by the way, would have to be 1999, the only time Moorhead has played for a girls' title, and a year in which Jefferson was indeed the defending champ.

My apologies to Chelsie and the Moorhead program for missing what obviously should have been one of the Girls Best Shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment